Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Richa Sharma Comes up with a 15 Minute Long Song

Richa Sharma, a popular singer of Bollywod movies, has recently sung a song for 15 minutes for the movie “Baabul”. This song is considered to be the longest song of Bollywood. However, only two-three minutes of this long song have been included in the movie due to the lack of time. Regarding this news I am quoting Richa from India eNews report:

In fact my composer Aadesh Shrivastava had put one traditional instrument. I had to request him to take it out. It was hampering my flow of musical thoughts.

It's rather gratifying but also scary. Aadesh always gave me room to innovate tremendously. For the 'Baabul' song he gave me only one brief. He gave me the words 'Babul mora naihar chutal jaye.

I sang for 15-16 minutes without any musical accompaniment. Of these only two-three minutes have been retained in the soundtrack for the lack of space, I guess

I've also sung the other number 'Kehta hai baabul', which Jagjit Singh and Amitabh Bachchan have rendered in 'Baabul'. My version has been kept out of the album.

Richa also talked about her favorite singer and a prestigious incident of her acting career. She said:

And I've one amazing singer, Sunidhi Chauhan, to thank for this. How I adore that girl's voice! Her deviant voice makes me hopeful about the future for another kind of voices.

One of the high points in my career in films as a singer was when I was called by Sanjay Leela Bhansali after he heard me sing 'Mere maula', one of my favourite tracks, from 'Khakee'.

Sanjay made my day when he said he was looking for me for a long time. I've sung a beautiful thumri for Monty Singh in 'Saawariya'. What a pleasure it is to sing for a filmmaker who knows what music is all about.

Singing for 15 minutes for a movie really deserves some prestige and honor which is given to Richa. As a singer she has proved herself in Bollywood with her song in Khakee, Umrao Jan and Taal. However, there is also a question whether a 15 minute song in a movie will be accepted positively by the audience.

0 comments:

Hobby Economist